Thursday, October 11, 2012

Slow Cooked Apple Butter

Did your heart explode with joy when you read the title of this post? Mine did when I saw it online. Mine finished cooking when I woke up. And waking up to this Apple butter is like waking up in a cinnamon apple orchard, the smell is incredible.
This recipe is so easy, as long as you have a little extra time to peel the apples. I used Gala, but any apple will do, except maybe gold or green...though I've never tried those! I think Gala or Honey Crisp (my favorite!) would be the best apples to use.
Put it in your crockpot this afternoon and eat it tomorrow on toast. (or a peanut butter sandwich)




Apple Butter

  • Apples- enough to fill your slow cooker 3/4 up (I used about 6 medium apples)
  • 1 Cup Agave Nectar (or honey)
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves (not whole)
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • dash of salt
  • 3/4 Cup water
After peeling, coring and slicing your apples, fill your crockpot until it’s 3/4 full. Add all the rest of your ingredients and stir until well coated. Cover and cook on LOW overnight. I cooked mine for 15 hours, about 1:30pm to 4:30am (there's obviously a baby in the house for me to be up and getting it out). Mash it all up and spread it on toast. Must be refrigerated.

It's even better when it's cold out of the refrigerator I think. Anyway, this reminds me of my grandmas apple butter that I used to eat growing up.
You should make this. Think about the smell of the cinnamon orchard that could be spreading through your home!

recipe idea came from:  http://www.skiptomylou.org/2012/09/22/crock-pot-apple-butter-guest-post/

2 comments:

  1. I use to like apple butter. I'll have to try this recipe. Do you like pumpkin butter? I made some last year, yum! Your last post made me laugh when you wrote about your power nap. ;)
    kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds too good to be true. must make!

    ReplyDelete